Dr. Aaron Ament
Instructor, Cadaver Lab Supervisor
Department of Biology
Minot State University
The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp by Rembrandt. This 1632 oil painting on canvas shows Dr. Tulp, a Dutch surgeon and the mayor of Amsterdam demonstrating a dissection of the left forearm and palm. The book in the lower right corner is likely the 1543 De Humane Corporis Fabrica by Andreas Vesalius. The corpse is Aris Kindt, who was convicted for armed robbery and hanged—then dissected later that same day. It was common at the time to strictly limit cadaver dissection to executed criminals and sometimes unclaimed bodies. A close examination of the navel reveals the shape of a capital letter "R"—the signature of the artist (who was 26 at the time). The poster on the back wall is also signed and dated by the artist. Rembrandt incorrectly painted the flexor compartment muscles originating off the lateral epicondyle of the humerus instead of the medial epicondyle.
—See Wikipedia for more info.
MSU FALL 2020 SEMESTER
WEEK 6 (of 17) ANNOUNCEMENTS:
(from Monday, September 28 to Friday, October 2)
- ***NEW UPDATES***... Finally !!! :
- BIOL 202 Introductory Microbiology:
- I will print and bring copies of Lab Handouts this week.
- BIOL 220 Anatomy & Physiology Part 1:
- All LAB PDFs for the whole semester are now ready.
- Lab 5 on the integumentary system is now READY !!!
- YouTube video for Lab 5 — Integumentary System is now posted.
- BIOL 221 Anatomy & Physiology Part 2:
- New time for BIOL 221 SI sessions on Wednesday (see below).
- Labs 1 to 6 PDFs are posted. The rest are pending.
- Ihli is not doing the endocrine histology lab for lab 3, so don't worry about that one, but it covers the endocrine lecture material so it is still valuable.
- Lab 1 to 6 YouTube videos are now posted. The rest are pending.
- SI Tutoring Sessions for BIOL 220.
- LINK to join the tutoring session.
- First SI session begins on Thursday, September 3rd at 1 PM.
- Lynn Vick is the SI instructor for BIOL 220.
- email: email@example.com
- Remind Account is the primary method of communication Lynn Vick would like to use:
- text @bio220sif to the number 81010 to get a welcome text from Remind.
- If anyone has trouble with 81010, they can text @bio220sif to (315) 510-0270 to also get the welcome text from Remind.
- Monday from 6:00 PM to 6:50 PM
- Thursday from 1:00 PM to 1:50 PM
- SI Office Hours on Wednesday from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- SI Tutoring Sessions for BIOL 221.
- LINK to join the tutoring session.
- First SI session begins on Tuesday, September 1st at 1 PM.
- Jacob Bohl is the SI instructor for BIOL 221.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday from 1:00 PM to 1:50 PM
- ***NEW TIME***: Wednesday from 3:30 PM to 4:20 PM
- SI Office Hours on Friday from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- ***IMPORTANT***: Be sure to PRINT your LAB PDF and watch the YouTube video for lab BEFORE going to lab. Lab is much easier and more organized when you do. Please bring your lab handout to lab.
- 1 time each day you should check the following for anything new:
- your MSU email.
- GO TO BLACKBOARD for your class to:
- Take all Lecture Exams.
- To access Blackboard Collaborate Ultra to watch the Lecture (and Lab) discussion remotely if you are not attending lecture in person.
- WATCH YouTube Training Video above if BB Collaborate Ultra is new to you.
- STAY ON THIS WEBSITE to:
- Print PDFs of the Lecture and Lab handouts.
- Watch YouTube videos of the Lectures and Labs. You should watch the appropriate video BEFORE you attend a lecture discussion or go to lab.
- Don't work or print stuff too far ahead, this is a "fluid semester" and materials from the online summer and spring semester might change. I will do my best to stay 1 to 2 weeks ahead of you for the whole semester.
- If you get lost trying to complete your class, email me at email@example.com and I will do my best to get back to you ASAP.
- If you have technical difficulties with Blackboard during a lecture exam, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or text me (701) 240-3373, tell me your full name & what class you are in and I will try to reset your exam ASAP.
Last Updated: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 9:00 PM